Some of you may know that my daughter attends a summer program at our local State University, earning her extra high school credits. Since she will be a high school junior next year, this upcoming summer she'll have the opportunity to take courses for COLLEGE credits instead. So, it's pretty exciting!
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest (grated lemon rind)
1/3 cup oil
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Lightly spray 6 muffin cups with baking spray.
2. Into a medium bowl, sift dry ingredients (flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt & baking powder).
3. In small bowl, combine liquid ingredients ( egg, milk, oil & lemon juice).
4. Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, all at once, and stir until dry ingredients are just moistened. Batter will look lumpy.
5. Spoon batter into muffin cups (filling about 2/3 full).
6. Combine remaining 3 Tbsp sugar & lemon zest.
It will look like this. --------------------------->>>
Sprinkle mixture over tops of muffins.
7. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until muffins are lightly browned.
8. Remove pan from oven; carefully remove muffins from muffin cups immediately. Cool muffins on wire rack.
Note: For a bit less of a lemon flavor, use just 1 Tbsp of lemon juice. For added lemon flavor, you can add a bit of lemon zest to the muffin batter before pouring into muffin cups. We add just a hint of lemon zest to it, and we love it!
Next we'll try adding some fresh blueberries (I love blueberries) too. I bet that would be yummy.
These muffins have a real soft, perfect texture, and the topping gives a perfect little crunch! Enjoy!
What is your favorite type of muffin?