Friday, March 20, 2015

National Poison Prevention Week 2015

Did you know that this week is National Poison Prevention Week for 2015?
That's right, March 15th - 21st is poison prevention week. Up until a few short weeks ago, I did not know this was a thing! This blog post may be later in the week, and the last day of poison prevention week is tomorrow, but bringing awareness on the issue never has an expiration date.



There are "hidden" toxins just about everywhere: in the home, at work, in the products we use on a daily basis, etc. Among the list of top five causes of Poisoning are: cosmetics and personal products and household cleaning products.

Below is an infographic that illustrates just how common poisons are (you can also click the image to see it enlarged and to go to the site for the US Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services division for poison help):




I have the Poison Help Hotline number stored in my smartphone. Do you?
If not, add it right now! 
It's 1-800-222-1222, and it can be a life saver!

Today I also want to share some information about asbestos. Asbestos is the cause of three major lung conditions. Mesothelioma is one of them.

Although it is not a condition that directly affects my immediate family or me, it's important, because it is a mineral that we have probably all had at least a little bit of exposure to at some point in time. We all know that cancer is no fun. There are so many types of cancers, and the causes are extremely widespread - sometimes even unknown. In an effort to be as healthy as possible and prevent any form of cancer from making an unwanted appearance as best we can, knowing carcinogens, or even potential carcinogens, in our environment can help. Knowledge is power.

Have any of you seen or heard commercials about mesothelioma? I know I have. In a commercial, it talks about mesothelioma being caused by asbestos exposure.

So what is asbestos, anyway? Asbestos is a known human carcinogen, in the form of microscopic fibers that can be inhaled or swallowed and, in time, cause serious damage. It was discovered in the late 1970s that asbestos exposure posed a thread to health and safety, so the use of it declined. Asbestos fibers are very durable and resistant to fire, which is why it was a go-to source for both commercial and industrial use. However, even though it is now classified as a known carcinogen, according to the CDC, it is still widely used and imported to the U.S. A list of banned and non-banned asbestos-containing products can be found here.

Mesothelioma Cancer
Image courtesy of the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance.
An astonishing 70-80% of all mesothelioma cases are caused by job-related exposure to asbestos. It is typically jobs in the industrial settings, shipyards, auto repair shops, and construction that might have the problem of asbestos exposure. But it can also be found in old homes, schools and public buildings, because asbestos was so commonly used. 

These are some of the current commercial uses on the CDC list that stood out to me:

- auto clutches
- brake pads
- imported cement pipe
- roofing materials
- vinyl

This tells me that auto repair shops and construction workers are still at risk for asbestos exposure!



Read more about toxins in the home and what to do if there is asbestos present at the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance Blog.

Here are some quick facts about mesothelioma:
- About 3,000 people each year in the U.S. are diagnosed with mesothelioma.
- Even though asbestos-use has declined, the incidence of mesothelioma cancer still remains steady.
- There is no cure.
- It is more common in men over age 60.
- Short-term and one-time exposures to asbestos have also been known to cause mesothelioma cancer (long-term exposure is the usual culprit).


Learn more about mesothelioma and visit the following website:

The Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance






*** Disclosure: A few weeks ago, the Community Outreach Director for the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance contacted me, asking if I would be able to publish a post about asbestos to raise awareness. Of course, wanting to use my blogger voice for #socialgood, I agreed. This is NOT a sponsored post. I am no health care professional, but all information presented here comes from reputable sources mentioned.
All information was obtained from the following sites:
www.mesothelioma.com
www.poisonprevention.org
www.poisonhelp.hrsa.gov
Other great resources (both government sites):
Agency for Toxic Substances & Diseases Registry with the Centers for Disease Control (ATSDR at CDC)
Asbestos Exposure and Cancer Risk at National Cancer Institute
Consumer Product Safety Commission: Asbestos in the Home






Pin It

23 comments :

La Vie En May said...

Wow! I didn't realize how common it is. Thanks for all the insightful info!

Elephant's Child said...

So many poisons. And some, like asbestos are sneaky. You can be exposed and show no symptoms for years.
Great post - thank you.

Natalia Khon said...

Awesome Infographic! We are always aware since we got a little one in our family. All chemicals went up so high that even I could barely reach them

leska hamaty said...

Wow thats pretty scary, thanks so much for sharing!

Miss Val's Creations said...

I never thought about cosmetics as being poisonous. So much to think about when keeping the home safe. I used to work in the construction industry and mesothelioma was commonly talked about since many guys worked back in the day when asbestos was not known to be unsafe. It still exists in too many schools, etc.

Katie Crafts said...

This is really great info! I didn't realize cosmetics was in the top 5. Scary!

LanasArtStudio said...

Stay safe and healthy my friend! and lets get in touch sometimes this week via convo :)

Integrated Learning Strategies said...

This is very informative and interesting! I had no idea it could be in some of those products. I'll have to watch things more closely at my house. Very important for when kids finally come.

Hena Tayeb said...

wow this is some great information. thank you for sharing

kristi dominguez said...

Excellent information! Thanks so much for sharing!

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Wow! I didn't realize all this information. Some of it is startling! Thanks for sharing.

Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

This is some great, handy information.

Debra Hawkins said...

Wow, this is such good information! Thank you!

Debra Hawkins said...

Wow, this is such good information! Thank you!

Stephanie Pass said...

You never realize just how many poisons are around you at home. We are pretty vigilant about things and put child proof locks on all the cabinets and drawers.

Michelle said...

This is a great PSA and you are awesome for using your blogger voice for the greater good! thanks for sharing this valuable info, it is important to be informed!!!

Britney Mills said...

So many things to think about! Thank you so much for giving me the heads up on a bunch of these!

Chelsea Johnson said...

These are great tips! My son got a window thermometer one time and broke it open. Luckily it didn't have mercury in it, but having to call poison control was scary! I am definitely more careful now!

Layne Quintanilla said...

This is great information that every family should have handy. I just added the poison control number in my phone. Thanks!!

Savory Experiments said...

This is great information and didn't know there was a week for this either. Do you remember the Mr. Yuck stickers? Those are what I think of when i think of poison.

Debi Wayland said...

I didn't know there was a week either. Thanks for sharing this info! So important!

Rebecca Hubbell said...

Thanks for the informative post, lots of great info!

Britni Vigil said...

These are great tips, thank you!