We enjoy strawberries in many ways, and if you are a regular reader, you know that my kids and I love smoothies of all kinds. Our simple Fresas con Leche recipe is a different spin on a regular smoothie-type. It actually reminds me of a Strawberry Julius from Orange Julius. (Have you ever had one of those? It's one of the original julius drinks, not a thick smoothie at all.) We don't have an Orange Julius nearby, so we came up with...
Fresas con Leche
1-2 cups fresh strawberries - washed, hulled, cut
1 - 1 1/2 cups milk
1 - 1 1/2 cups ice
1-2 tablespoons honey (or to taste, can be much less or more - completely optional)
Blend the milk and honey together for a few seconds, then add the strawberries and ice. Blend until mixed well. Pour and enjoy!
When using the maximum amount of ingredients, it serves my family of 5 perfectly.
Here are some strawberry fun facts:
* On average, there are about 200 tiny seeds on each strawberry.
* Strawberries are a great source of Vitamin C.
* California state produces the most strawberries in the United States!
We love visiting our local farmer's markets. We bought these sweet strawberries from one of our recent visits. We're proud to say that they're California Grown fruit!
Here are some tips for choosing strawberries when shopping:
* Look for a rich, red color and bright green caps.
* Store your strawberries in the refrigerator for up to three days.
* Wash your strawberries only when you are ready to eat/use them.
By the way, Happy Memorial Day!
What's your favorite summer time fruit? Any plans for Memorial Day?
Tweet to @2justByou