Today we're going to answer this question:
What's the difference between "following" a page and adding to a circle?
When you follow a page, you are basically adding that page to a specific circle for following. Pages are usually for businesses or brands. However, there is sometimes the option to "follow" a personal page as well - depending on how the page is setup. Most people have a personal page, and then a separate business page (but this is not always the case).
The difference is much like that of facebook. You can "follow" a person's personal newsfeed, which means that you are more likely to see that person's status updates and G+ shares in your newsfeed (or in your email inbox, if you have that setting enabled). When you add a person to a circle category, you basically start "following" them too. However, if you follow AND add to a circle, you are more likely to see the person's G+ posts. When you click "follow," you also increase the number of followers visible and counted for the page.
When I add someone to my circles, I usually go ahead and choose FOLLOW (by checking the box for circle category "follow"), then add to a specific circle category (#GrowingCirclesHop, for example).
Much of the time, a business page ONLY has the follow option (as opposed to the circle categories). So, the same is true if you "follow" a business or brand page. When adding a business/brand PAGE, you MUST FOLLOW first, and then you will be allowed the additional option to add the page to a circle as well. Or, you can choose to just follow only, without categorizing into a circle.
In essence, follows and adding to a circle is the same thing. However, as mentioned above, we have seen higher results with following AND adding to a circle. This has been true for both personal pages and business/brand pages.
You might be asking yourself...What's the difference between a personal and business/brand page? And do I need both?
Well, you'll have to stick with us for the next round of Answering Questions to find out the answer to that!!! ;)
For now, let's get to the party!!! Remember: You need to use the party hashtag AND link up for the best benefits of the party. =0)
*** Don't forget! ***
The party stays open until Friday night at midnight, EST! So don't be shy, come and visit on Friday too. Show us your G+ posts. Search our party hashtag in G+ to see awesome content for TWO days instead of just one!
Don't forget to use the party hashtag:
To make the most of this link party, please follow the rules below.
1. You MUST add your hosts and co-hosts to one of your circles before linking up.
OUR PARTY HOSTS:
2. Link up your personal Google+ profile, blog or business G+ pages, OR -- you can link up a specific G+ post of yours - but NOT your blog URL.
Note: If you want to post both of them, we're cool with that too! The only thing we ask is that you limit your post shares to one per blog/business page. We have no set limit for personal post shares, but please keep it to a reasonable number (preferably not more than 5 posts using our party hashtag).
3. Publicly share a post - (new or old) on G+ and use the party hashtag #GrowingCirclesHop. See note above for limit guidelines.
4. Connect with others by clicking on your #growingcircleshop hashtag, or enter "growingcircleshop" in the search box at the top. Engage with at least 2-3 others by a Share, +1 and/or Comment.
5. Add new friends to your circles! Be social. It's completely worth it!
6. Help us spread the word about this party so we can try for trending on Google Plus each week!Check back on G+ and +1/comment on the party posts with our hashtag #growingcircleshop until Friday night.
LINK UP below!!! You can now link up your G+ profile page -OR- you can link up a specific G+ post that you've already publicly shared using our party hashtag!
See all the posts for our G+ Tips Series:
Week 1: What is G+?
Week 2: Importance of Circles
Week 3: Using Circles
Week 4: Categorizing Circles
Tweet to @2justByou